There are infinity of varieties of cavas; from the sweetest options to the Brut Nature Gran Reserva bottles (without added sugar) at the opposite end. But among all of them stands out a small group of cavas whose product is unique and has unique location and terroir characteristics. The Cava de Paraje Calificado demonstrates a very high quality and uniqueness.
The Cava Regulatory Council put into effect, in 2017, this new high category, only valid for a select number of wineries, among which are the Juvé & Camps cavas. The conditions to consider a Cava de Paraje Calificado are very restrictive and special:
1. The vineyard must be at least 10 years old and have a maximum yield of 8,000 kg per hectare, as well as a limit of 48 hectoliters per hectare.
2. Use of native grapes, such as the Penedès magic triangle formed by the Macabeo, Xarel·lo and Parellada varieties.
3. The harvest has to be done in a totally traditional and manual The winemaking process will be carried out, without exception, within the property of the cellars.
4. The minimum fermentation required, in the bottle, is 36 months.
5. It will go through two organoleptic controls (before bottling the cava and prior to its marketing) and will follow a strict comprehensive traceability from the vineyard to the final moment of sale.
Complying with these scrupulous and demanding regulations, we find La Capella, D.O. Cava de Paraje Calificado Brut Nature. Its production is limited to 3,000 bottles, from seven hectares of old vines located in the highest part of the Espiells estate, in the heart of Penedès. This austere and shallow terrain gives this exclusive cava a deep aroma (stone fruits, brioche and butter, nuts, curries and toasts). On the palate it will leave you with memories of dried apricots (dried apricots), walnuts and select pastries.
The Cava de Paraje Calificado, included in the D.O. Cava, is only suitable for grapes from small unique plots, with exceptional terroirs, artisanal production processes and unique climatic conditions, such as those that Juvé & Camps has on its Espiells estate. This seal recognizes excellence in the world of cava and is integrated into the exclusive group of Cava de Guarda Superior -together with the Reserva and Gran Reserva-, with an aging superior to that required in the traditional method.
Whenever you think of a unique and singular cava, which follows the strictest controls within a traditional production, the Cava de Paraje Calificado La Capella is a surefire option.