Pagos de Anguix continues to advance in its organic philosophy and launches the first of its red wines certified as such, which will be followed by the rest of its references in future vintages.
Currently 99% of the Pagos de Anguix wine-growing property is organic and a large part has been organic since it was planted more than 20 years ago. Due to its extension, 85 hectares, it is one of the largest organic vineyards in the Ribera del Duero.
Pagos de Anguix presents its first organic red wine, Costalara 2020 , a wine that reiterates the commitment to ecology and the maintenance of biodiversity of this winery located in the Burgos town of Anguix.
Costalara 2020 is the first of the winery’s reds to obtain ecological certification, a 100% fine red wine from vineyards between 20 and 30 years old located in the towns of Anguix and Olmedillo de Roa, at about 800 meters above sea level and on stony soils with a clay-calcareous bottom. It is made in an artisanal way and with little intervention, seeking to enhance the fruitful and original expression of the vineyard. It is aged for 12 months to obtain a red wine with notes of wild fruits, especially currants, and a touch of sweet spices that gradually give way to aromas of redder fruits, vanilla and spices. In the mouth it is unctuous, structured, fresh and mineral.
Costalara 2020 reiterates the strong commitment to the ecology of Pagos de Anguix, which has more than 30 hectares of vineyards already planted organically for more than two decades, and the vocation of the winery to practice respectful viticulture not only with the vines, but also with the environment. Pagos de Anguix is a member of the Regenerative Viticulture Association and, as such, carries out viticultural work aimed at restoring life to the soils and promoting biodiversity, and respectful pruning is carried out in its vineyards with the sap flows of the plant, which help to prolong its life and improve its health status. Currently, 99% of the Pagos de Anguix vineyard is certified organic and the remaining 1% is in the conversion process, so the entire range of wines from the winery will be completely organic in subsequent vintages.
The winemaker José Manuel Pérez Ovejas, at the head of the Pagos de Anguix technical team, summarizes the 2020 vintage as a very high-level vintage, despite the complications derived from the Covid-19 pandemic. The team led by Pérez Ovejas decided to delay the harvest for a few days compared to other neighboring wineries in a vintage that is considered somewhat cooler than the previous one. The decision was fortunate and yielded perfectly ripe grapes, with a grade slightly higher than the average for the Ribera del Duero Denomination of Origin. The winemaker recalls the rains that interrupted the grape harvest, an event that did not prevent him from obtaining excellent results, as shown by this Costalara 2020 that has just hit the market.